Monday, October 18, 2010

Doing Me, Day 6

Today in and of itself was not very interesting, but I did find myself in an interesting conversation with my friend who's supposed to be going through a thirty day cleansing of her own.  It got me to wondering if we should begin to evaluate the men we love or are in love with from the outside looking in.
When you're all starry eyed and in love with someone, day by day it becomes increasingly harder to see their flaws. As a matter of fact, it's more likely that it just becomes increasingly easier to ignore their flaws.
We seem to misremember a lot of the details surrounding our past loves and why we aren't in that relationship today.  I mean if they were as great in real life as they are in our minds, then shouldn't we still be together?  I know that the Ex is nowhere near as wonderful of a person in reality as he is in my mind.  I'm not completely delusional, but it doesn't change the fact that I've allowed myself to look the other way and act like I don't know some of the shit he does is just wrong on several levels.

The Homie is a sociopath, plain and simple.  Yet, I find myself putting up with absolute bullshit from him, all the while excusing it because he's one of my best friends and I love him.  "He's just young and dumb" I tell myself.  "He doesn't know any better". The truth of the matter is he's an adult and he knows right from wrong.  We need to quit accepting and enabling such behavior.
I can already see the ways our relationship is going to change.  I can't coddle The Homie anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I tell him when he's on some bullshit, but I do it in a nice loving way. That's over.  I'm going to have to handle him like an adult moving forward.
I'm on the verge of taking complete control of my happiness. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment